Dan Hardy releases statement on UFC departure, says promotion ‘revoked’ team’s UFC 259 credentials

Dan Hardy releases statement on UFC departure, says promotion ‘revoked’ team’s UFC 259 credentials

One-time UFC welterweight title challenger Dan Hardy hopes to reconcile a dispute with his promoter after the company cut direct ties with him following a “disagreement” with an employee.

“The result of their brief and private investigation has left me with little closure, and hope that at some point I’m able to get more information of what I’ve actually been accused,” Hardy wrote in a prepared statement on the website of his Full Reptile media company.

Hardy elaborated on Wednesday after confirming this past Sunday he is no longer “directly working” for the UFC. In his post, he explained more of the details surrounding his confrontation with the UFC employee, which he said took place after UFC Fight Island 7 in January.

Hardy said he was on a break from filming promotional material for UFC 258 and was in the presence of several colleagues from the British media when he had a “verbal disagreement” with the employee that was “forthright but not aggressive, and specific to work.”

Since then, Hardy said he’s made amends to the employee.

“I have apologized to the individual, for the embarrassment they must have felt,” Hardy wrote. “The conversation could have definitely taken place in a better location, and under better circumstances.”

Hardy refuted a report that UFC broadcast commentator BT Sport had severed ties with him. But he wrote that his departure as a UFC commentator had other consequences – a team with his media company had their credentials “revoked” to cover UFC 259 after they had quarantined for three weeks.

As media reports of his departure have swirled, Hardy said he’s been waiting for an answer on his future with the promotion.

“It has been suggested that a reconciliation between myself and the UFC is possible, and of course, I hope that is the case,” he wrote. “I have yet to speak to, or hear from [UFC President] Dana [White], and get a better understanding of his perspective on the situation.”

In the meantime, Hardy wrote, he’s received public and private messages of support and has “lots of exciting offers to consider.” The 38-year-old fighter also remains under a fight contract with the promoter, though a heart condition known as Wolf Heart Syndrome has kept him from being cleared to fight.

Hardy’s health issues were the catalyst for a pivot to commentary. He quickly transitioned to working outside the cage, also producing UFC-branded content as an analyst. He was threatened by White with termination this past July after publicly confronting referee Herb Dean over a stoppage at UFC on ESPN 14.

Before news of his UFC departure became public, Hardy called out several fighters for a comeback including Matt Brown and Nick Diaz.

Below is Hardy’s full statement:

Apologies for my silence on this current situation. I’m still chasing answers privately, and it’s taking some time. This is what I can say, at this point.

It was a verbal disagreement between myself and a member of the UFC staff. It was forthright but not aggressive, and specific to work.

I have apologized to the individual, for the embarrassment they must have felt, as a small handful of our colleagues from the British media were present. We were taking a brief break from recording UFC 258 content, a few hours after the Holloway Kattar event had concluded, when the disagreement occurred. The conversation could have definitely taken place in a better location, and under better circumstances.

BT Sport have not fired me, and are still keen on working with me in some capacity. I’m appreciative of their interest in a continued collaboration. Thank you all for the support in the comments across their accounts. They are paying attention and making efforts, although there is pressure to push me out entirely.

The Raptors were quarantined for three weeks in order to attend UFC 259, but had their credentials revoked, so we’re diversifying our content a little, and appreciate your subs and support.

It has been suggested that a reconciliation between myself and the UFC is possible, and of course, I hope that is the case. I have yet to speak to, or hear from Dana, and get a better understanding of his perspective on the situation.

The result of their brief and private investigation has left me with little closure, and hope that at some point I’m able to get more information of what I’ve actually been accused.

I’m forever a fan of the UFC, and dedicated in service of MMA. I appreciate all of your kind words and support, both privately and publicly, and have lots of exciting offers to consider.

With respect and gratitude,

The Outlaw

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.