Jon Jones open to Dominick Reyes rematch if the UFC makes ‘the reward worth the risk’

Jon Jones open to Dominick Reyes rematch if the UFC makes ‘the reward worth the risk’

Jon Jones isn’t ducking anybody, but he definitely wants to get paid his worth.

At the moment, the UFC light heavyweight champion is still waiting for his next fight. Many believe he should be preparing for an immediate rematch with Dominick Reyes.

Back in February, Reyes pushed Jones to the limit, but ultimately lost a decision after five hard-fought rounds. Despite the result, Reyes and numerous others felt he did enough to deserve the nod that night, regardless of what the judges said.

Immediately afterward, UFC president Dana White said he liked the idea of Jones and Reyes running it back. For his part, Jones has no problem with offering Reyes another shot at his title, as long as the UFC is willing to pay him appropriately.

“I’d love to fight him again,” Jones wrote in Twitter on Tuesday. “I’m just waiting for the UFC to make the reward worth the risk.

“Unless the organization treat it like a super fight, I might as well stay on schedule fighting the next guy in line.”

I’d love to fight him again. I’m just waiting for the UFC to make the reward worth the risk. Unless the organization treat it like a super fight, I might as well stay on schedule fighting the next guy in line https://t.co/gBKBsGnrIk

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

The “next guy in line” is likely Polish powerhouse Jan Blachowicz, who’s coming off a stunning knockout of Corey Anderson earlier this year. Blachowicz has been pushing for a title fight against Jones ever since, though the UFC is still undecided on who will receive the next shot at gold.

If the UFC isn’t willing to pay up, Jones sounds ready to move onto Blachowicz.

“I’ve never dodged anyone,” he said regarding a rematch with Reyes. “Did you see what Jan did to the last brotha he faced?”

I’ve never dodged anyone, did you see what Jan did to the last brotha he faced? https://t.co/vDAMknFI5F

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

Whomever ends up being his next opponent, Jones seems up to the challenge. He also acknowledges the high standards he has to live up to every time he competes.

Since reclaiming the light heavyweight title with a TKO against Alexander Gustafsson at the close of 2018, “Bones” has gone to decision on three consecutive occasions. That includes a split decision against Thiago Santos as well as the razor-close call against Reyes earlier this year.

Jones knows he’s held to a different standard because he’s been so dominant during his career. But ultimately, he’s getting the job done each and every time.

“My last three fights may not have been finishes but at least they were exciting,” Jones said. “Never have I just stood around out there scared to engage. I think people easily forget the type of roll Anthony [Smith], Dominick and Thiago was on before they met me. These guys were the scariest guys out there but I was just a tad bit better.

“It’s my fault. Over the last decade, I’ve spoiled the fight fans. Dominated Anthony for 25 minutes and that wasn’t exciting. Went back and forth with Thiago and Dominick for 25 minutes and that wasn’t exciting. Now victory isn’t enough, if I’m not finishing, I can’t be the best. Good problems to have I guess.”

I try, my last three fights may not have been finishes but at least they were exciting. Never have I just stood around out there scared to engage. https://t.co/p4X0I4wIze

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

I just think people easily forget the type of roll Anthony, Dominic and Thiago was on before they met me. These guys were the scariest guys out there but I was just a tad bit better. https://t.co/jCE9x9KQGJ

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

It’s my fault, over the last decade Ive spoiled the fight fans. Dominated Anthony for 25 minutes and that wasn’t exciting. Went back and forth with Tiago and Dominick for 25 minutes and that wasn’t exciting. Now Victory isn’t enough, if I’m not finishing I can’t be the best.

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

Good problems to have I guess

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

If his performances at light heavyweight haven’t been wowing audiences lately, perhaps a move up to a new division would do the job instead?

“I’d love to have an exhibition fight at the catchweight of 220 pounds before moving up to heavyweight,” Jones teased. “Who wants to take that L?”

I’d love to have an exhibition fight at the catchweight of 220lbs before moving up to heavyweight. Who wants to take that L?

— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 12, 2020

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.