Video: Pearl Gonzalez announces withdrawal from Invicta FC 43 title fight due to positive COVID-19 test

Video: Pearl Gonzalez announces withdrawal from Invicta FC 43 title fight due to positive COVID-19 test

Pearl Gonzalez is out of her upcoming title fight.

The flyweight contender announced on Monday that she has tested positive for COVID-19, and her vacant 125-pound championship bout with Erin Blanchfield that was to take place on Nov. 20 at Invicta FC 43 has been postponed.

View this post on Instagram

Please take care of yourselves, Chicago this shit is brutal!!

A post shared by PEARL GONZALEZ (@pearlgonzalez) on Nov 2, 2020 at 11:00am PST

“I’m really sorry, but I’m not fighting on Nov. 20,” Gonzalez said in a video. “I got COVID and I’m really sick these last couple of days. My camp, [Invicta FC President] Shannon [Knapp], myself, just decided it would be best and that if I hold out 1) I might not be cleared of the COVID test anymore and 2) I’m really f*cking sick. This is really f*cking brutal.

“I just wanted to tell you guys that I’m really sorry. I’m heartbroken. But I’m gonna focus on getting stronger.”

Gonzalez expects her fight with Blanchfield to be rescheduled. MMA Fighting confirmed with Invicta officials that the plan is to move the fight to the next event, which is still to be announced.

A tearful Gonzalez implored fans to take the necessary precautions during this COVID-19 pandemic.

“In the meantime, please protect yourselves,” Gonzalez said. “This sh*t is brutal and spiking, so just take care of yourself, make sure you’re taking your supplements, washing your hands, and wearing your masks.”

A previously scheduled vacant strawweight championship bout between Emily Ducote and Montserrat Ruiz will now serve as the Invicta FC 43 main event.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.